Obesity is a medical condition that comes when a person carries excess weight or body fat that might affect their health. Obesity has become a complex health issue as a serious concern because it is associated with poorer mental health outcomes, reduced quality of life and the leading causes of death worldwide, including diabetes, heart disease, stroke and some types of cancer.
Common causes for obesity are:
- Bad eating habits
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Not having enough sleep
- Growing age
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Heart disorders
- Skin disorders, etc,….
Obesity in Ayurveda is described as medoroga or sthaulya. According to the patient line of treatment varies
- Langhana- fasting therapy
- Shamana chikitsa- internal medicines are given such as guti, vati, asav arishtas, rasauhdis, etc,…
- Shodhana chikitsa- done through panchakarma therapies such as snehana, swedana, udvarthana, basti, dhanyamla dhara, takradhara.
- Pathya- restricted diet is given for some days.
- Yoga and exercises- prescribed according to patients.