Vitiligo (vit-ill-EYE-go) is a disorder in which white patches of skin appear on different parts of the body. This happens because the cells that make pigment (color) in the skin are destroyed. These cells are called melanocytes (ma-LAN-o-sites).Vitiligo is an autoimmune skin disease in which there is a progressive destruction of the skin’s pigment-producing cells (melanocytes), resulting in areas of otherwise normal white skin devoid of melanin pigment. It is not unusual for hairs growing in areas of vitiligo to lose their normal color.
- Patchy loss of skin color.
- Premature whitening or graying of the hair on your scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows or beard.
- Loss of color in the tissues that line the inside of your mouth and nose (mucous membranes)
- Loss of or change in color of the inner layer of the eyeball (retina)
- In Ayurveda Vitiligo is referred to as shwitra or Shweta kushta which is classified in kushta rogas (skin diseases).
- Shodhana chikitsa: panchakarma therapies for detoxification like Vamana, Virechana, Rakta mokshana can be prescribed.
- Shamana chikitsa is done through internal medicines and external applications Pathya- diet changes, lifestyle modifications, yoga, and meditation are advised in Pradnya Ayurveda multispeciality hospital.
- Apart from this treatment management importance is given to Prayaschitta ( actions which remove sins) or paapa karmas from our life.
- Vitiligo or Switra has an unpredictable course and its prognosis may not be encouraging. So the early intervention of treatment and continuation of treatment at least 1yr from onset gives encouraging results.